Thursday, July 17, 2008

ABILENE REPORTER NEWS


On Tuesday July 15, 2008, the Abilene Reporter News ran a story about Hendrick Medical Center. A portion of the story mentioned Abilene Regional Medical Center. A part of that story is:

Abilene Regional Medical Center issued an e-mail response when contacted about comparable reports. Mike Murphy, chief executive officer, stated that the medical center is committed to providing quality care. (Photo on the right)
"We appreciate the opportunity to compare our quality scores with state and national benchmarks so we continuously improve the care we provide," Murphy wrote. "Now, through Web sites such as Hospital Compare, the public can utilize the information posted as one key measure in choosing a hospital for their care."



I commented on Mike Murphy's outrageous comment about being committed to providing quality care in the blog section at the end of the story. Within minutes, the story was no longer on the main page. The next day, on Wednesday, I contacted the editor of the ARN and asked why the story had been removed. He responded by email:


Gary,

The story is still there. The comment - I just removed after it was flagged by more than one reader.

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2008/jul/15/hendrick-launches-web-site-to-promote-quality/

The story is not on the homepage. It is on the local news page. Other stories have moved into the spot that this one originally sat in.

I know that you have a campaign going regarding healthcare.

Reporternews.com isn't the place for that campaign or your blogspot. Almost anytime healthcare comes up you bring up Regional. Consider it off topic. Continued posting will result in having you banned from the site.

Please consider our word final on what the Reporter-News and reporternews.com can do for you.

Barton Cromeens
Editor
Abilene Reporter-News

Barton stated: "Almost anytime healthcare comes up you bring up Regional."
Mr. Cromeens, your story mentioned REGIONAL. It was already there. I simply commented on Mike Murphy's comments.
The Reporternews would like to stop any negative comments regarding ARMC. If any of you have read some of the blogs, you have seen how hateful and mean some of them can be. Funny thing is, I get threatened with being banned from the site because of my comments about Abilene Regional.

No comments:

About Me

Abilene, Texas, United States
My name is Gary Reed and I live in Abilene, Texas. In 2007, my mother was in Abilene Regional Medical Center. She and her family had repeatedly instructed the physicians and hospital staff NOT to give a specific drug (procrit)to her as it was the cause of her being there in the first place. However, she was injected with the drug again, sent to CCU, and never recovered. Since then, I have met with numerous other families who have reported similiar experiences with Abilene Regional Medical Center. For one year, I have attempted to dicuss this with ARMC staff and physicians and they have refused. I have also spoken with the attorney for the hospital in Houston, Texas. He admitted there were problems at the hospital and they would be contacting me soon to discuss these issues. It never happened. I will share as much information as possible here. Some I will not share at this time. If you or someone you know has experienced problems with this hospital, please contact me at: gnr99a@hotmail.com