Monday, May 26, 2008

Procrit story continues:

Was the drug needed, or was it the money. Our mother's chart was clearly marked and she had told the doctors and nurses she did NOT want the drug again. After all, she almost lost her life on May 25, 2007 after the violent reaction after receiving the injection.
After coming through all of this, over the next several weeks she participated in physical therapy and there was talk of discharging her from the hospital. However, on July 2nd, we received a phone call she was back in CCU. When my sister and I arrived, we soon learned she had received the procrit injection AGAIN. A short while later she was rushed back to CCU. When I asked the CCU physician why she had received the PROCRIT injection again, he yelled in my face in front of my family, other families, and nurses. He stated, "You can hire all the attorneys and lawyers you want. It won't do any good." I was distraught and now had to put up with a CCU PHYSICIAN yelling at me in front of everyone. There had been no talk of lawsuits on our part. We had JUST arrived at the hospital. An employee of the hospital witnessed this and took us to the Administration office. We were not given truthful information at that time as well.
We attempted to leave Abilene Regional Medical Center and transfer our mother to Hendrick Hospital in Abilene. Of all things, we were told we couldn't. One of the department heads stated, "There are politics between the two hospitals and it wouldn't be wise to transfer to Hendricks."
That is when one of the physicians entered the CCU room and began talking lawsuits again. Not the same CCU physician who yelled in front of everyone. ANOTHER ARMC PHYSICIAN.
This physician went on to talk about how hard it is to win a lawsuit against physicians and it would be a waste of time. He even stated his own mother died of the same problems our mother had. It would later be learned that his mother is ALIVE and well. This may sound like a made up story but I promise these are facts. Not made up.
After what seemed like weeks, we finally were allowed to transfer her to a hospital in Dallas. However, oddly enough, she went unresponsive the night before. There are other details but I will hold off on that at this time.
I continued to receive phone calls from the physician and even had two more face to face visits with him and he continued to talk about lawsuits.
There is more to this story and will be shared later.

No comments:

About Me

Abilene, Texas, United States
My name is Gary Reed and I live in Abilene, Texas. In 2007, my mother was in Abilene Regional Medical Center. She and her family had repeatedly instructed the physicians and hospital staff NOT to give a specific drug (procrit)to her as it was the cause of her being there in the first place. However, she was injected with the drug again, sent to CCU, and never recovered. Since then, I have met with numerous other families who have reported similiar experiences with Abilene Regional Medical Center. For one year, I have attempted to dicuss this with ARMC staff and physicians and they have refused. I have also spoken with the attorney for the hospital in Houston, Texas. He admitted there were problems at the hospital and they would be contacting me soon to discuss these issues. It never happened. I will share as much information as possible here. Some I will not share at this time. If you or someone you know has experienced problems with this hospital, please contact me at: gnr99a@hotmail.com